COSCA Counselling Skills

The COSCA Counselling Skills course is a general introduction to counselling course. This course is aimed at individuals working or volunteering in a helping role but is also a useful starting point for anyone wishing to pursue a career in counselling or psychotherapy. The course uses experiential learning, where students learn and practice their new skills in groups of three or more.

COSCA_POST_Tues_Day

Course Information
What will each module focus on?

Modules 1+2 will focus on listening and responding skills and seek to develop the participant’s self awareness. The modules are practice based and provide an introduction to the core conditions which underpin the major counselling approaches.

Modules 3+4 will introduce the main counselling approaches and present ethical issues and dilemmas within counselling.  Learning is still practice based and Module 4 integrates all the learning of skills, knowledge and self-awareness.

Module 5 is a new course aimed at those who have already completed the COSCA Counselling Skills Certificate Course.  The overall format and layout is similar to that of the Certificate course. In particular the course will:

  • Further develop the counselling skills of those who have completed the COSCA Counselling Skills Certificate Course (or equivalent) provide opportunities for participants to reconnect with their previous learning and experience
  • Help participants to up-date their practice and understanding assist participants to further deepen and develop their knowledge and use of counselling skills.

You must complete modules 1-4 to receive the certificate.

How long will it take?
Each module lasts approx 30 hours of study.

How much will it cost?
Costs: £950 per person for all 4 modules)
Cost for individual modules £250

25% PAYMENT (£62.50) IS DUE PRIOR TO COMMENCING EACH MODULE THE REMAINING 75% MUST BE PAID IN FULL PRIOR TO THE END OF EACH MODULE INDIVIDUALS WILL NOT BE REGISTERED WITH COSCA UNTIL EACH MODULE IS PAID IN FULL

When does the next course run?
The COSCA Counselling Skills (module 1, Day class) will run again on in 2018.

The COSCA Counselling Skills course (Evening class module 1) will run again on in 2018..

PLEASE NOTE* Registration/ enrollment for this course will be 2 weeks prior to the course start date. Early enrolment is advisable as these courses are extremely popular.

Should you need any further information on the course content please contact Neil Macaulay on 0141 353 1800 or email: neil.macaulay@glasgowcouncilonalcohol.org or email: training@glasgowcouncilonalcohol.org

How do I apply?
You can download a booking form here.
Please note that bookings are made on a ’first come first served’ basis.

Contact Us
Glasgow Council on Alcohol (GCA)
14 North Claremont Street
Glasgow
G3 7LE
Tel 0141 353 1800
training@glasgowcouncilonalcohol.org

Download a course booking form.

GCA Student Handbook

You can download a copy of our student handbook here.