GCA Resilient Communities are a key partner supporting the roll out of a number of new campaigns that aim to reduce the number of underage drinkers in Glasgow. These are taking place within Govan, Parkhead and Dumbarton Road Corridor and will run from 6 months from March, June & July respectively
The campaign is a partnership between Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership, Glasgow Life, Police Scotland, Licensing Standards, Glasgow Council on Alcohol, Community Safety Glasgow and Clearer Choices Glasgow (part of AddAction).
Specifically targeting people who buy alcohol for young people, the Community Alcohol Campaign involves local agencies, off-licences and the community in a joint effort to tackle underage drinking across the city.
The campaign aims to:
- support local off-sales businesses to comply with the law and feel confident to refuse
- reduce the accessibility of alcohol to under 18s through the promotion of responsible sales
- target ‘agents’ who purchase alcohol on behalf of under 18s
- decrease alcohol related anti-social behaviour
- increase awareness and use of local activities for young people and
- improve community perception of alcohol-related issues.
The campaign follows on from previous similar campaigns in 2009, 2010 and 2012 respectively.
Then it was shown that by preventing access to alcohol, the number of people reported for anti-social behaviour drops. For instance, when the campaign came to Greater Govan in 2009, the community saw anti-social incidences drop from 94 at the beginning of the campaign to 36 at the end.
And the number of people (adults and young people) reported by the Police for drinking in public in the Greater Govan area also dropped from 74 in 2008-2009 to 42 in 2009-2010, a drop of 62%.
GCA Resilient Communities team are taking our whole service to the campaign areas in a concentrated way to further raise awareness of the campaign with the wider community, a recommendation that came from the review undertaken by Judith Harkins in 2014. We will strive to provide:
- Groupwork around alcohol, drugs, resilience or self-esteem for adults, older people and women within the campaign area
- Alcohol Brief Interventions within the campaign area’s
- Training for community based staff and volunteers
We will also strive to include the Ripple ACE volunteers with the community alcohol campaign initiative, utilising their skills and experience within the community.
For more information about community alcohol campaigns please contact the team on 0141 556 6631 or email GCA.Communities@glasgowcouncilonalcohol.org